Monday, November 23, 2009

Waiting for the Lil Dude


Wow, it's been forever since I've posted here. Sorry....busy summer, I guess!


The best way to get back into the swing of things is to post a work in progress. I've wanted to do this painting for a long time. It's from back in the days when I worked at a guest ranch, and from a photo I took of one of my co-wranglers, Ben, who decided to take a quick nap leaning on one of our "kid" horses, Lil. It seemed we almost always had to wait for one of the "dudes" who was late for their scheduled ride. We worked long days there; it was always good to grab 30 winks whenever you could!


Here's the initial block-in of light and dark on the subject. You may be able to make out some rough pencil sketches in the background of other figures; not sure I'm going to include them all at this time.


This is 16" x 20", oil on canvas.


No comments: