Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Lily Pond


I've decided to post this oil painting as a WIP (work in progress). This is a painting that I have neglected to do for a long time, and it's well past time to tackle it. It's a commission and the client has been way too patient! I've procrastinated on this, because there are some elements about the composition that I'm not wild about, and I've taken liberty, as usual, with making changes. Here is the reference photo for The Lily Pond.
A note on the back of the photo says that this picture was taken in July of 1984! I haven't procrastinated THAT long!
This is a place I know well, as I visit it dozens of times each summer, and have done so since the mid 80's. It was a resting place for riders on one of the more popular rides when I worked at the Rawah Ranch, and I still spend a week stopping there every summer with a camp for disadvantaged kids that I've participated in since the mid 80's. So I can't use the excuse that I'm not familiar with the subject, although it hasn't near as much water now as it did in the 80's.
But I have a problem with the reflected cloud form.....it just looks weird, so I'll be thinking on how I can make that look more natural. I also know that it is one of the features that the client likes best about this scene, so I'll have to be careful with my changes!


No comments: